I draw on the freedom of yoga and movement, the grace of massage and the essence of being a doula to provide nurturing, educated and non-judgemental support to women.
When I began studying holistic massage twenty years ago, one of my teachers said to me: ‘this is just the beginning of the journey…’
I smiled and thought that she was talking about the journey of becoming a massage therapist but now I understand that when we delve into the connections of body, mind and spirit the journey never ends.
Whilst living in London in the 1990s, I became an avid yoga student and, inspired by my two brilliant teachers (Liz Lark and Louise Reilly), I followed the path to teach yoga when I moved to New Zealand from 2000-2007. I trained with Shantimurti, Atma and Alinta at Ashram Yoga in Auckland and am qualified to teach Hatha Yoga from beginners through to advanced as well as Pregnancy Yoga, Postnatal Yoga and Menopause Yoga. In addition to yoga, I teach Spiral Stablization, which is the most amazing exercise system for all over strength but also for specific spinal and joint issues.
From 2008 – 2019 I worked as a Birth and Postnatal Doula, supporting many wonderful families along the way. During my doula training, I was introduced to Arvigo Therapy. This was a transformational moment when it was declared that periods weren’t meant to be painful!!! I had to find out more, so between 2008 & 2011 I studied hard to become a Certified Practitioner of this work – marvellous for all abdomens but particularly for those of women!! The belly really is the key to health – good digestion & balanced menstrual cycles go a very long way to improving and maintaining overall health and wellbeing.
The more I see, the more I understand how movement is our baseline to health, whether you move your whole body in a yoga practice, or concentrate on moving the tissues and organs in the abdomen with an Arvigo massage. I am continually inspired by new movement practices and biomechanics which add depth to my physical yoga practice and teaching.
And so the journey continues …
Key Qualifications & Study:
- 2020 Menopause Yoga with Petra Coveney
- 2018 Spiral Stabilization
- 2017 MUTU System with Tish Dodson
- 2016-17 Biomechanics & Corrective movement with Katy Bowman
- 2014 Restorative Breathing with Lois Laynee
- 2011-12 Love Your Guts Abdominal & Visceral with Marty Ryan
- 2011 Pregnancy Massage with Gateway
- 2010 Postnatal Yoga & Mother & Baby Yoga with Birthlight & Sitaram
- 2008-11 Arvigo Therapy with Arvigo Institute
- 2008 Birth & Postnatal Doula with Nurturing Birth
- 2006 Yoga Therapeutics with Judith Lasater
- 2000-2005 Hatha Yoga 500hr with Ashram Yoga NZ
- 2002 Pre & Postnatal Yoga with Ashram Yoga NZ
- 1998-99 ITEC & MTI in Holistic Massage
- 1989-92 MA (Hons) in Art History, University of St Andrews